Tuesday, July 04, 2006

East Texas Weekend

This is the view of highway 69 between Jacksonville and Alto. This is what east Texas looks like - big huge trees on the side of hte highway, green and gorgeous. The air was sweet and clean. It was great!
Here are Caleb's two week old chicks! They are sort of in that in between "ugly duckling state". apparently they don't stay yellow, fuzzy and cute for very long! Maybe about 5 days or so. His business partner had week old chicks that were mostly fuzzy but were growing their white feathers already. So I'll have to plan a trip super close to his next delivery so I can get pictures of the new chicks!
Here are Caleb's chicken houses from the outside, i've suddenly forgotten whether he has 4 or 6. Oh well. He has several :-) they are really well kept and seriously they don't smell! when you get really close you can smell that "bird smell" but its not foul or nasty. Its not take-your-breath-away gross, but just a chicken smell. He says it gets a little worse as they get bigger because they poop more but because he feeds them microbes, it does not smell as bad as other chicken farms. I've smelled turkey farms before and those are gaggingly bad.
On Saturday we rode the Texas State Railroad from Rusk to Palestine and back. I have more pictures but thought y'all would enjoy this the best. We went to an unattached train engine where this man was a volunteer telling stories about the trains. He was cute but hard to understand! Anyway at the end of his little talk Caleb says "give me your camera, go stand next to him for a picture". I was shocked that it was HIS idea! But I went over there and the man said, wait wait wear my hat. Well Caleb loved this because all day he'd been telling me I needed one of those hats, was I sure I didn't want to get one! So I'm laughing because I knew how much Caleb was enjoying the fact he put the hat on my head!
and finally here is the one picture I got of Caleb. I would have taken more but any time he was in "nice" clothes it was short lived and I didn't have my camera. Should have gotten one of us together on the train but oh well. He isn't one for pictures really (see that big smile on his face? haha!) but I'll get a good one eventually. He's really cute when he smiles - his eyes disappear like mine! And this was a bit of an awkward picture anyway as we are watching the green light flash waiting for the camera to take the picture. Too funny. Next time I'll get a cute one. Maybe even one of him in one of his stained t-shirts he wears to work the chicken houses in LOL!

1 Comments:

At 3:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

looks good.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home