Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Lately I've been plagued with quotes from movies so I thought I'd share a few of them. Last night I was thinking about love and these 2 thoughts came to me. In Hope Floats, her mama never says "I love you" but instead says "My cup runneth over". Thats sort of her way of saying that she is overflowing with love and is too overwhelmed to accurately express it - she doesn't express her emotions very well anyway so thats just her way of saying "I love you" without really saying it. And at the end, the littler girl says it as the three of them are walking hand in hand. That little voice saying those words gives me goosebumps every time! Then I thought of Ghost and how Sam would always say "ditto" in response to Molly saying "I love you". And even though it bothered her because "sometimes you just need to hear it", the day that she met with Oda Mae Brown and was told that Sam was speaking to her and he said "tell her I love her" and she said "Sam would never say that". When she says "Ditto! He says ditto!" Molly stops and its like she suddenly realizes how much that word meant to her. It wasn't an "I love you" but it was his version of one and thats what gave it power.

Then today talking with someone about illness and short life expectancy's, etc I quoted Julia Roberts in Steel Magnolia's "I'd rather have 5 minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of something special." She was willing to risk her life so that she could experience the joy of giving birth to a child. And of course that leads to many more quotes from Steel Magnolia's. "I think its kinda funny - men are supposed to be made of steel or somethin." "I was there when that beautiful creature drifted into my life and I was there when she drifted out." and of course, one of my favorite scenes: "I just wanna hit someone until they feel as bad as I do! I wanna hit 'em hard!" and Clarie says "Here! Hit this! Go ahead Mellin, slap her!" and then "You just missed a chance of a lifetime - everyone in Chickapin parish would give their eye teeth to take a whack at Wheezer!" and on to Clarie saying "Wheezer, you know I love you more'n my luggage!"

1 Comments:

At 1:50 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

When Wheezer and Clarie are in Piggly Wiggly before the surgery and Clarie is loading the cart with Pork & Beans, Wheezer says (while eating a Twinkie),
"Clarie, this is just a gesture, we're not feeding Drum until the end of time"
"Drum loves Pork & Beans, he eats 'em with everything"
"that explains a lot" (while putting them back on the shelf.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home