Tuesday, April 18, 2006

9-1-1 from my cell phone

Let me preface this story by telling you that I am a very observant driver. I always notice the cars around me and use my mirrors frequently. I notice things most people don't. Tonight on my way home from a movie I was driving north on a 6 lane street and had the windows down, enjoying the breeze and the music. Since it was almost midnight the street was pretty empty and so it was not hard to miss the black Tahoe that moved from the middle to the left lane going southbound and made a u-turn behind me. They got into my lane and follwed from a "normal" distance. I was driving right at the speed limit because the cops have been swarming the place lately and already I had seen 2 officers in "discreet" locations. The Tahoe stayed approximately 5 car lengths behind me. At first I didn't pay much attention but the further I went the more nervous I became. Simply because no one does that. not at midnight. I kept telling myself, no big deal just keep going. Well there is construction at this street and the one I live on and I had to move into the left lane before turning onto my street. I decided that if the Tahoe turned behind me, I would keep going pass my apartments and make a big loop to see if they were really following me or if I was behing paranoid. They turned behind me. Since they were still staying at a "reasonable" distance and I was going slowly, I got my cell phone out of my purse and dialed 911 but didn't hit send. I decided if they turned again behind me that I would then dial 911. That is, until they flashed their bright lights at me. They actually turned their bright lights on and kept them there for a few seconds, then turned them down again. That scared the living daylights out of me so I pressed send and lifted the phone. Almost immediately after dispatch answered the tahoe was gone. I was very shaken and couldn't even tell the officer where I was because they had disappeared! It was a dark street so at first I thought they had turned their lights off completely and was expecting at any moment to be rammed. Then I realized they were no longer behind me. My theory now is that they saw my cell phone light up (dark street) and turned onto a side street. Lucky for them the street they turned on was not gated, like some of the earlier ones had been. I told the dispatcher I had been followed, that they flashed their lights at me, but that they were now gone. He asked what city I was in and then asked if I still needed help. I asked him to stay with me until I turned to be SURE they weren't behind me. Then I said I was okay, thank you and hung up. Here's my whole point. I should have given him details - told him my location, the vehicle description, etc and maybe an officer nearby (i had seen at least one within a mile or so) could come check it out. But I was so shaken, not only by the possibilities but by the fact the tahoe had just disappeared, that I simply hung up. The dispatcher did not ask me for more details. I wish he would have. So to you I say, be aware of your surroundings if you are driving alone late at night and if a situation like that occurs, hopefully you will remember to give details and hopefully prevent anyone else from having to go through that! I should go to sleep but somehow I think it may be hard to fall asleep tonight. I am just glad to be home safe. and I am glad 9-1-1 from my cell phone worked! Although I have to admit I assumed with cell phones they would be able to locate me via some fancy digital software tracking device or something. I think I watch too much CSI!

1 Comments:

At 6:36 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

wow! that is really scary. no wonder you couldnt sleep. i wouldnt be able to either!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home