Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Thoughts for the Hurricane Victims

I have been reading everything I can find on the Hurricane because I have friends who (used to) live in New Orleans, I have friends who have family in Mobile, and I know some business partners in Biloxi. I am so saddened by all the reports of deaths and the continuing threat of water and contamination. A dear friend of mine is a licensed ferry operator from New Orleans and has grown up on boats so I am pretty sure that if he has the ability, he has out there helping rescue people. I haven't heard from him. Just like the Tsunami and even 9/11 and now reports of those people getting killed on a bridge in Iraq - it just makes you think, "what is going on in the world?" I believe in God and I know that He is in control. I know that He does not cause things like this to happen, and that no matter what, He is still Sovereign. But it just makes you want to go up to Heaven and ask, "Why does this stuff happen?" So even though there may be unbelievers reading this blog, I want to post this for anyone who has either been directly affected or indirectly affected by the Hurricane.

"For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness', made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. We have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. . . . Therefore do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary but what is unseen is eternal."
NIV 2 Corinthians 4: 6-9, 16-18

May God bless those who have been injured, who have lost everything, who feel defeated. Know that there are even strangers praying, and that God is with you even if you don't believe or understand. May we all do what we can, be it giving monitarily, volunteering to go help, or simply praying.

2 Comments:

At 7:10 PM , Blogger Brian said...

It truly is one of the most devastating natural disasters of our time. But with the war, the tsunami, 9/11, etc., have people sort of become immune to tragedy in this country. I sure hope not

 
At 2:10 PM , Blogger Jan said...

reading the news today, I just don't believe how horrible it continues to get. I ache for those suffering so horribly. . .

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home